Speed up trace mode (GSoC Project)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Mar 25 21:44:20 UTC 2019

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 01:28, Christopher Chavez wrote:

> Hi Mihir, I am a MacPorts user and port maintainer. I have a suggestion, but am not a member, so do not take my advice as canon.
>
> > On Mar 23, 2019, at 1:52 PM, Mihir Luthra wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking to add an 8th section which gives a small high level tour of the codebase to a newcomer joining the community.
> > I personally would only be able to give tour of trace mode, but that section can be populated with other topics as well later.
>
> Improvement of any documentation should be welcome.
>
> However, my impression is that the guide document is limited in scope to what is useful to either a MacPorts end user or a port maintainer, plus some logistics of participating in the MacPorts community. I do not know if this limitation in scope is intentional, nor if topics such as base development would be welcome in the guide.

I would say that the lack of information is the guide is most of the
time not intentional, but rather a simple consequence of nobody ever
writing it :)

While it could be the case that if we simply take some disconnected
section and put it into the manual without at least some basic
background and bigger picture, I would totally welcome some additional
documentation. But in fact the first version could be even in google
docs or wiki or markdown or whatever and then we see where it would
make most sense.

I would definitely welcome a section about programming for base in the guide.

Btw: we discussed about moving information from wiki to the guide as
many information is overlapping and we forget to update one when we
change something.

Mojca