GSoC 2019 [Collect build statistics]

Arjun Salyan arjun.salyan.che17 at itbhu.ac.in
Wed Mar 27 16:12:04 UTC 2019

> - A more elaborate plan about how you plan to handle updates / keep
> the database up-to-date. Sure, we can trigger certain actions from the
> buildbot, but those various "actions" need to be implemented. Keeping
> the app up to date in a safe and reliable way is a very important part
> of the project, and requires collecting data from various sources.
> "Look for the most efficient ways to keep the PortIndex and Build
> History up-to-date" should be already attempted now.

We can keep the build history up-to-date by using HttpStatusPush, I read
about it in buildbot documentation
<http://docs.buildbot.net/0.9.0/manual/cfg-reporters.html#id7>. It sends a
json object containing build data. This would even remove the need of a
parsing script on web-app's end which fetches the logs from buildbot.

But I am having a problem in reaching at a good method to keep PortIndex
updated. PortIndex does not give any id to each port, and suppose I assign
them ids in the database. Then if a port is renamed, it would be impossible
to identify which port was renamed because PortIndex has no idea about the
ids in the database.

Another problem is the size of the file- every time running
portindex2json.tcl over the generated portindex and then looking for
changes does not appear to be very efficient. Neither does the build page
<https://build.macports.org/builders/jobs-portindex/builds/7030> seem to
provide any relevant info about the changes.

Any suggestions on tackling these would be very helpful.

Thank You