GSoC 2019 [Phase out dependency on Xcode]

Satryaji Aulia satraul at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 08:35:39 UTC 2019

Hi Marcus, I’m a final-year student from University of Indonesia interested in contributing to MacPort, and I’m working on my proposal right now.

I’d like to ask about the Phase out dependency on Xcode project idea on the Wiki page.

Just making sure of the flow: user/maintainer installs a Port using trace mode (-t), if it turns out it the Port needs the full Xcode package, it outputs:
- An error message if full Xcode is not installed.
- A warning message if use_xcode yes in the Portfile is not set.
Thus, all the contributions are to be made on the macports-base repo. Correct?

In achieving this, exactly which parts of the codebase need to be modified and how do you detect that a package needs full Xcode?

I understand that trace mode reads filenames that are accessed using DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES. Do we compare these filenames to a list of filenames that are from the full Xcode?

Looking forward to your reply.
satraul