GSoC 2019 [Collect build statistics]

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Mar 30 15:00:33 UTC 2019

On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 at 12:54, Arjun Salyan wrote:

> Hi,
> I have installed an ajax based search box in the demo app:
> https://frozen-falls-98471.herokuapp.com

Cool, I like it, thanks!

The next "feature request" would probably be to allow search through
descriptions as well :)

Anyway, I'm just curious: what's the current situation with
django/database hosting, network and other limitations etc.?
Now that you have the code which can both import the full database, as
well as parse and show the builds, it's actually a pity that there's
only a small fraction of ports available, and no idea which ports
actually show some useful build info.

For the initial page it would also help if there was a number of ports
attached to each category name. Now one clicks on category like
https://frozen-falls-98471.herokuapp.com/ports/category/x11-font, just
to see zero ports listed. If there was a number of ports next to
category, it would be more fun to browse.

As for category page like
    https://frozen-falls-98471.herokuapp.com/ports/category/amusements
it would probably be nice if the page also listed port version and
(short) description. Possibly more info later (like a checkbox if the
port is know to build), but for now the description would already
help.

> Also, just wanted to give a polite reminder about my open PR: https://github.com/macports/macports-contrib/pull/3

I'm sorry. My Tcl is not something I would be bragging about, so I
need some more time to play with it. I provided some further feedback
now, but I would like to also make the maintainers' parsing a tiny bit
cleaner. Generally the code should be ready to be merged soon, it's
already producing the desired result that you need for parsing, any
further comments are just about "stupid nitpicking" to keep the code
as clean as possible, but nothing of any high priority.

What would be really cool though is to start some actual review
process for the Django code, as that's where there would be a lot more
work, and probably more substantial comments. Putting comments next to
commits in some random repository is a bit non-trivial: difficult to
find, difficult to get an overview, difficult to forget what was fixed
and what not, difficult to see what was reviewed and what not etc.

Personally I don't have permissions to create a new repository under
macports organisation, but as Umesh suggested, we can create a
temporary org somewhere, create an empty repository, and then submit a
pull request to that one. (It would be nice to include some basic
instructions for anyone not familiar with Django at all, about how to
install the project, populate the database and run it.)

And since you already have a draft proposal ready, it would also make
sense to submit it. (The final version gets submitted later.)

Mojca