GSoC Proposal

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri May 3 23:04:09 UTC 2019

Dear Karan,

On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 23:27, Karan Sheth wrote:

> If PEAR ports are useful to the community then I would like to take
> this as stretch goals / after GSoC goal.

For anyone putting the GSOC mails to "ignore mode" due to heavy
traffic ... maybe leave the comment inside
    https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/4192
or in the first ticket.

I have absolutely no clue what they are and whether they are
important, so someone else needs to decide.

To me personally php is kind of a dying language. Not exactly the
case, but I can imagine that any "serious developers" would take the
individual modules from whatever internal build/install system it
offers anyway as opposed to relying on MacPorts, similar to using
"pip". I didn't do the analysis on any of those ports, I would look at
the number of commits and the number of tickets filed. If there is or
was a serious demand, I would expect some activity. Admittedly Haskell
is way more obscure and much less used. But probably the only reason
why there's demand for it (from a more substantial number of people)
is Pandoc.

That said, the decision about whether or not to remove ports now is
relatively orthogonal to whether or not it makes sense to create an
import later.

Mojca