URGENT -- massive merge commit on macports/macports-ports

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue May 21 23:06:44 UTC 2019

Hi,

Its a merge commit, i.e. the committer at some point pulled in changes to a branch which they subsequently pushed to master without rebasing.

Its ‘OK’ in that its not a real commit. The changes you see in GitHub won’t really happen (if you look in detail they are commits already in master).

Avoiding these is why we rebase, i.e. if your setup is configure to work directly from a git checkout running ’sudo port sync’ under the hood runs ‘git pull —rebase —autostash origin master’ (if your git is new enough).

We don’t really want these commits in the master history, but at this point removing it (rewriting history in master) would be a bad idea and possibly lead to trouble, so best to leave it, and hope the committer learns not to do it again ;)

Chris