URGENT -- massive merge commit on macports/macports-ports

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri May 24 08:27:02 UTC 2019

>> If that is indeed the case (although it would seem strange to me to not have such a commonly used feature), then we should recommend not using it, certainly for MacPorts related work.
>
> I use the GitHub Desktop app. It is nice to have a graphical display of differences and to be able to select which ones to commit. Do you have a suggestion for something I should use instead?

Me, no. You are asking the wrong person, as I favour the command line
client ;)

Maybe you could configure git to always do a rebase when pulling into
your macports checkout.... See for instance

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13846300/how-to-make-git-pull-use-rebase-by-default-for-all-my-repositories>

so for instance

 > git config --global pull.rebase true

will configure things to always 'pull --rebase' for all your local
clones. If you don't want it globally, remove the --global and do it
locally for each project.

Note, if you do this, you also might want to enable at the same time
automatic 'autostashing'

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30208928/can-git-pull-automatically-stash-and-pop-pending-changes>

with the above, you could make it so

 > git pull

effectively does

 > git pull --rebase --autostash

which is what 'sudo port sync' does anyway under the hood (this is
actually how I update my local repo most of the time).

( I have no idea though if any GUI you might use will respect any of
this... If they just run 'git' under the hood it should, but ... )

Chris