OpenBLAS fixed in Xcode 11.2

Jack Howarth howarth.at.macports at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 11:39:10 UTC 2019

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 4:55 AM Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2019, at 03:52, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 2 Nov 2019, at 4:56 pm, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> >
> >> Josh told me when Mojave was released that we weren't installing the
> CLT anymore on the builders.
> >>
> >> Then when Xcode 11 came along and we had zillions of problems building
> things with it on Mojave without the CLT, Josh said we were changing our
> recommendation back to installing the CLT.
> >>
> >> So that's what I then did on the Mojave builder, and when I set up the
> Catalina worker.
> >>

> > Thats understandable, but the problem is upgrading Xcode to 11.2 does
> not help as much when the CLT tools are still stuck at the buggy older
> version, as if both are installed the older CLT SDK is now preferred, so
> builds still fail. Hopefully
> >
> > https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/5673
> >
> > Will help a bit, And also hopefully Apple will not be too long in
> releasing an updating CLT that is also fixed....
>
> The fact that the CLT SDK is now preferred is another reason why we want
> to go back to requiring the CLT. After Xcode 11 was released and Mojave
> users upgraded to it, we discovered just how pervasive the problem of SDK
> paths baked into build scripts was, as zillions of bug reports started
> pouring in about the MacOSX10.14.sdk being missing. Having the CLT
> installed on the build server ensures that any SDK paths that do get baked
> in will be for something that continues to exist even if Xcode is upgraded
> or is not present.

So you are saying that SDK paths are baked in
as /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk (as the current
CommandLineTools no longer installs in /). I'm rather surprised that folks
bothered to hard code that path rather than just use `xcrun
--show-sdk-path` to discover it. Is it really that hard to patch those
build scripts to handle that properly?
              Jack