keeping software forks under MacPorts repo?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 9 17:06:38 UTC 2019

On Nov 9, 2019, at 11:00, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> But we would probably want to
> prefix the repository names (something like "fork_qt", "fork_llvm") to
> clearly distinguish them from our main repositories.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest doing that. We're not forking in order to diverge from upstream and evolve the software into a different product. We're only doing it to apply bug fixes.

> Is it possible to
> set up a cron job to keep the upstream branches and tags fully up to
> date (but without deleting our own branches, and ideally without
> accumulating deleted upstream branches)?

Given how pervasive git is today, there probably is. But syncing out fork with upstream seems like a normal task that a developer would be expected to do manually at their convenience.