keeping software forks under MacPorts repo?

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Nov 9 17:54:43 UTC 2019

> On 9 Nov 2019, at 5:06 pm, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Nov 9, 2019, at 11:00, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> But we would probably want to
>> prefix the repository names (something like "fork_qt", "fork_llvm") to
>> clearly distinguish them from our main repositories.
>
> I wouldn't necessarily suggest doing that. We're not forking in order to diverge from upstream and evolve the software into a different product. We're only doing it to apply bug fixes.

I agree. changing the name is unnecessary and for me would in itself be confusing.

forking is standard in GitHub, and never changes the name of the repo. e.g.

https://github.com/cjones051073/macports-ports <https://github.com/cjones051073/macports-ports>

is my fork of

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports>

and it is clearly stated at the top this is the case. I see no benefit in changing it by appending “fork_”.

Chris