File Doesn't Appear in Release tarball, but is in GitHub master

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 17 20:51:35 UTC 2019

On Nov 17, 2019, at 14:37, Steven Smith wrote:

> I have a weird error with the recently merged macos-fortress port.
>
> sudo port selfupdate
> sudo port install macos-fortress
>
> throws an error because the file ${filespath}/hosts.orig doesn’t exist.
>
> I see this file on GitHub: https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/net/macos-fortress/files/hosts.orig
>
> But it’s not in /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports/net/macos-fortress/files
>
> But all the other files are there. Weird that this one file is missing.
>
> How should this be fixed?

By renaming the file, specifically its extension.

mprsyncup (the script that keeps the rsync server updated) uses `rsync -aIC` to synchronize the files between the git clone and the rsync server directory. The -C part means "auto-ignore files in the same way CVS does". Files whose names end in .orig are among those that get excluded.

https://github.com/macports/macports-infrastructure/blob/master/jobs/mprsyncup

If this is a sample file to be installed of which the user will edit a copy, then a suffix like .dist, .sample, .example would be what we usually use.

I don't think anybody's deliberately tried to use a .orig file in MacPorts before. :)