Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64 on jsonnet submission

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Nov 23 01:33:30 UTC 2019

On 2019-11-23 08:27 , Steven Smith wrote:
> The build for submission jsonnet
> <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/5862> is failing with
> error:
>
>> Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64
>
> I don’t know how to address this and would appreciate any help—this is a
> necessary dependency in a larger NLP transformer port.
>
> Casting around the internet, others are reporting similar errors, along
> with some hacky fixes that don’t work here:
>
>   * https://github.com/anguslees/rust-jsonnet/issues/2
>   * https://github.com/nlohmann/json/issues/285#issuecomment-348090484
>
> My best guess now is that it’s some MacPorts compile- or link-time flag
> setting that’s causing this issue.
>
> See the entire build log at: https://paste.macports.org/db560da152fd

It's nothing to do with not using clang++ or the wrong stdlib, as I
could have told you at the very beginning if you had shown the actual
compile command and error message.

Those symbols appear to be somthing that should be provided by the code
being built. Bottom line is, the code is trying to use some functions or
global variables that are not defined anywhere. Figuring out why would
involve digging into the code.

- Josh