CatalinaProblems added

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 9 06:42:50 UTC 2019

On Oct 8, 2019, at 20:22, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2019-10-9 02:34 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>

>> On Oct 8, 2019, at 06:10, MacPorts Wiki wrote:
>>
>>> Page "CatalinaProblems" was added by jmroot
>>> Content:
>>
>>> Ensure you have Xcode 11.0 or greater installed and selected (e.g. `sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer`), and that you have the command line tools installed (`xcode-select --install`). You also have to agree to the license by running `sudo xcodebuild -license`.
>>
>> I see the MojaveProblems page also says to install the command line tools, but is this old information that was just copied from the previous OS versions' wiki pages, or have we changed our mind and are back to recommending the installation of the command line tools?
>>
>> Back when Mojave was released, a big deal was made about the removal of /usr/include and how it was important to be able to use MacPorts without the command line tools installed, to which end the Mojave buildbot worker (which is still on Xcode 10) doesn't have the command line tools installed, unlike the earlier ones.
>>
>> Jeremyhu has pointed out that the CLT is needed if the Xcode version doesn't have the native OS SDK. So if I understand that correctly, Mojave with Xcode 10 should be fine without the CLT and Mojave with Xcode 11 would require the CLT. Similarly Catalina with Xcode 11 should be fine without the CLT.
>
> Yeah, so I think we're going back to saying the CLTs are required
> because that's the simplest way to ensure that the native SDK is
> available in all cases. We still need to work without /usr/include,
> because that's no longer part of the CLTs. Catalina will only be fine
> without them until Xcode 12 ships with only a 10.16 SDK.

Ok, then I'll install the CLT on the 10.14 builder, and on the 10.15 builder when I set it up.

I had left the 10.14 builder at Xcode 10 because I wasn't sure if updating to Xcode 11 would prevent some 32-bit ports from building. And some other issues with Xcode 11 seem to have cropped up, regarding the 10.14 path being baked into *-config scripts and the like. Should we continue to keep the 10.14 builder on Xcode 10?