implementation of configure.env-append

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 17:04:57 UTC 2019

Quite right, and that's of course what I usually do. And it works most of
the time.

But in some cases, ports don't run a configure phase, or it is not fully
honored due to internal software tricks or malfeasance, or similar. So it
is necessary to get the extra variables into the environment directly (like
the port I was working on).

I don't know why it never came to me to pass in the $LDFLAGS directly on
build line like Marcus did -- seems so obvious now.  I'm going to go back
and see if I can rewrite a few dozen Portfiles that I had to backflip
through to get it done (all those ports where I test for clang and add the
stdlib onto the compiler spec come to mind as a starting point, for
example).

Thanks, Ken