Lazarus port

Karl-Michael Schindler karl-michael.schindler at physik.uni-halle.de
Fri Oct 11 14:13:28 UTC 2019

Hi.

I am working on the Portfile for Lazarus, an integrated IDE for FreePascal similar to Delphi. Besides some smaller issues, which I am sure I can address, a major issue shows up that was suggested to present here for discussion.

The pull request is here: https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/5439

The issue:

Setting the directory ${prefix}/share/lazarus to have read/write permissions for all by this line:

    system -W ${destroot}${prefix}/share "chmod -R a+rw lazarus“

The reason for this is, that it happens fairly often, that lazarus is completely recompiled, because a different lcl (lazarus component library) is selected as target or additional packages are installed, which modify the menus of lazarus. It also happens, as soon as a source file is newer than its object file (.o) or unit file (.ppu).

The object and unit files are created in directories, usually named lib, units or tmp and only they need to be created and their content be updated. However, they are distributed all over the tree of source files and some are created when the unit is created for the first time. I think, it is a lot of work and error prone procedure, to restrict the read/write permission to these directories and keep the source files readonly. I have already tried to do so, when i was setting up the package description for fink, but i did not manage it in a reasonable time. It is just to easy to forget, where such a directory may be created.

The question is, whether this can be accepted or how to resolve it.

Thanks - Michael Schindler aka known as mischi (IRC)