replacing OpenGL with MoltenVK

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 20:23:00 UTC 2019

> Chris,
>       I thought that MoltenVK was designed to be backward compatible with the OpenGL data structures and calls. If so, shouldn't having new variants of the mesa packages that link against the MoltenVK libraries instead of the macOS OpenGL framework decouple the MacPorts X11 support from that depreciated framework.
>         Jack

MoltenVK is an implementation of the Vulcan API on top of macOS's Metal framework. It sounds like what you are asking for is in fact MoltenGL, which (currently) is not open source. If you search, you will find discussions on alternatives to it, that either are, or might be in the future. I’m not an expert on this stuff though… Also, this also would not really directly do any good for X11, as that would have to be updated to use / be compatible with the MoltenGL, or whatever layer we use.

Chris