[2.6.0-beta1 & LibcxxOnOlderSystems] stack fails to build

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Sep 5 06:41:22 UTC 2019

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 18:30, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> The new ghc infrastructure is broken on 10.6, and at a quick glance, it looks like it starts building at 10.8, which is actually not too bad, and better than I thought:  <https://ports.macports.org/port/ghc/builds>
>
> I am not sure if i will ever get around to trying to fix the older systems, and I would doubt if anyone else ever will. It might or might not be possible to do so.
>
> There was some minor talk of resurrecting the ghc v7 infrastructure, but I think that is a dead duck idea as the whole family of hs-* ports needed for it are disappearing too.
>
> So -- you might be out-of-luck there, unless I break my leg or something :>

I guess this would be required to support 10.7 and older:
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/cross-compilation
We would need a newer machine to backport to 10.6 first, then from
10.6 do the rest of i386/ppc if necessary.

This one seems to have been compiled on 10.7:
    https://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_7_8_4#macosx_x86_64

Support for the hs-* family might be feasible with Karan's work (he
will also be at the MacPorts meeting in Slovenia in October), but it
probably won't help a bit without a suitable compiler running on that
platform.

Mojca