scope of configure.optflags, configure.compiler etc. command line variables

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 07:22:51 UTC 2019

On Sunday September 15 2019 20:25:59 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>Setting such options on the command line is intended as a debugging technique only.

I cannot agree completely with that. What if you want to build all your ports with maximum optimisation (including -march=native and -mdynamic-no-pic)? What about `configureccache`, that cannot possible be defended as a debugging technique (and by definition ccache won't help with code that has the be recompiled each time because you keep changing it).

Comparable systems on Linux all have a way to define a way to define the default compiler options (and compiler choice), just like MacPorts has a way to define default variants.

Where is the code anyway that handles the reset when processing of a new port starts? Maybe the reset itself could be made dependent on a switch, such that it'd be on by default but can be toggled to "sticky" behaviour instead?

R.