Preparing for 2.6.0 beta

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 20 01:38:08 UTC 2019

On Aug 24, 2019, at 23:20, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2019-8-25 03:00 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> Would it be possible to set up at least one builder with 10.6 running
>> MacPorts master, building all ports with libc++ (apparently default by
>> now in master), just not uploading the archives to the public site, or
>> potentially uploading them to a 10.6 subfolder? That is, instead of
>> putting the file under
>>    http://packages.macports.org/clang-3.4/clang-3.4-3.4.2_12.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2
>> we would put it under
>>    http://packages.macports.org/10.6/clang-3.4/clang-3.4-3.4.2_12.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2
>> or something else than 10.6 (darwin10.x86_64, 10.6.x86_64, ...).
>>
>> That way we could at least have all the packages ready by the time
>> when we do the switch.
>
> I guess that depends on how much time Ryan has to work on this.

In my opinion, it would have been a good idea to develop a plan for having the archives for libc++ on older systems at different URLs (either subdirectories or different archive filenames). That way, we could have deployed new builders to build the libc++ archives for older systems prior to the release, so that they would be available at release.

However, since Joshua decided to flip the switch for libc++ on older systems without such a plan being in place, we won't have archives for libc++ on older systems available at release of 2.6.0, and users will just have to wait for the builds to finish or build things themselves.