scope of configure.optflags, configure.compiler etc. command line variables

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 07:23:18 UTC 2019

On Thursday September 19 2019 20:20:06 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> You could increase the size of your cache.
>
>Storing a separate cache for each port would quickly eat up a lot of disk space.

Evidently, but
- ccache doesn't use more space than needed
- the ccache directory compresses extremely well with afsctool, a background cleanup process could exploit that
- per-port caches could be removed with `port clean` (automatic if they're in the work directory) or `port clean --all` (or via a dedicated option). This would require using the -o and -k flags as long as you plan to profit from ccache benefits, but that probably covers most of the situations anyway.

>The level of fiddling that you've mentioned doing with the command line flags exceeds what I've heard of any other developer doing. So I don't think that writing and debugging a lot of code to change how this works would end up benefiting very many people.

Possibly, but there are probably very few who manage as many ports as regularly as I do, by now. But I'll plead guilty to using MacPorts as a nice way to formalise builds of software I use regularly so those builds become reproduceable and I can easily roll back a version in case of trouble (but I guess that's how others got into maintaining ports, too).

And you probably don't want to know the complexity of compiler (and make) wrapper scripts that I've written in the past :)

R.