RFC: MacPorts policy should be that docs should not be built or installed by default

mf2k at macports.org mf2k at macports.org
Fri Sep 20 15:04:06 UTC 2019

Hi Ken,

Thank you for bringing this up. We also need to discuss, as a group, how to label documentation variants and sub-ports. Currently there is quite a diversity.

See https://trac.macports.org/ticket/58338 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/58338>.

I propose “docs” for a variant name and “-docs” for the sub-port name addition.

I agree that, in general, the documentation should not be installed by default. Based on what Josh said, we don’t need to make it a rule, just a recommendation. If we unify the variant name, people can at least set “-docs” in their variants.conf file.

Cheers!
Frank