clang-8.0 very strict -- can we think about changing the clang compiler list order?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Sep 28 08:14:22 UTC 2019

> On 27 Sep 2019, at 3:06 pm, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think it would be fair to invite everyone to try setting the default compiler list for a week on your own systems to our current macports clang progression!
>
> Compilers are always ahead of the codebase by a couple of years.
>
> What are the clang-using Linux distros defaulting, I wonder? That might tell us where they feel the codebase is presently...

Our point of reference should be the Xcode clang versions. Most ports build fine on 10.14 using the system clang there, so what upstream version does this equate to , roughly ? My guess based on release times would be somewhere are clang 7.

I am with Jeremy here, we need to start pushing away from clang 5.

Chris