Just another heads up / RFC --> Re: new naming scheme for llvm/clang will cause wreckage fyi

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 23 19:26:00 UTC 2020

Hi,

> On 23 Apr 2020, at 8:15 pm, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The suggested renaming of the clang/llvm/lldb ports to
>
> clang-10
>
> instead of
>
> clang-10.0
>
> going forward from clang-10 onwards will have repercussions in a number of places, should it proceed, as per the PR.
>
> For one, this does not work any more:
>
> configure.compiler=macports-clang-10

That is not at all unexpected. The PR

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/6902 <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/6902>

just adds the new compiler as a new port, so does not update any of the port groups to add the new compiler to the required lists, to make it available as an option, e.g.

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/_resources/port1.0/group/compilers-1.0.tcl <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/_resources/port1.0/group/compilers-1.0.tcl>

Not that I am suggesting the above PR should change the above PG. I would suggest making those changes as a separate change, following the commit of the compiler itself. Just adding the new compiler cannot cause any wreckage, as nothing will use it, in the first instance.

Note adding a new compiler to the various places it needs to be done in the port groups is not hard. Its a little more complicated this time due to the chance in numbering scheme, but still should be possible.

So I would propose first concentrating on just committing the llvm-10 suite of ports, and worry about the integrating into the macports build system later on.

cheers Chris