port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:10:00 UTC 2020

How about I float a suggestion? We could append "_binary" to the name. Otherwise leave the categories, notes, etc as they are now.

So a port that installs the Zoom teleconferencing application would be called "zoom_binary". (We can't use "zoom-binary" because variants us the + and - to do their thing.) You could find all your installed binaries with a simple grep...

Open to a more descriptive, shorter suffix if anyone is thinking of one.

Once we find metadata we agree on, then two more points to work out.
1. Should we mirror the binary installers (no, I'd say)?
2. We should require a mechanism to remove all traces of the software when uninstalling it, I think.