port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Herby G herby.gillot at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 17:50:50 UTC 2020

Adding my 2 cents to this as well (why not).

I personally think a conservative approach makes sense here.

We can keep the entirety of MacPorts structure exactly the way it is today,
and add 3 things:

   - a "binary"/"binary_only" (or a new MacPorts specific name for these)
   as a *category*, just as we have the "aqua" category
      - in this way, binary-only apps can continue to be represented in
      respected categories with "binary" as their secondary or third category
   - a portgroup with the name selected above, which as mentioned earlier,
   could perhaps have:
      - a blank build section and use_configure disabled since binary ports
      are extract-only
      - automatic support to destroot and install <Name>.app bundles into
      the $prefix/Applications dir
      - by default turning on any options that might exist to disable
      caching/mirroring of the distfile, and disable attempting to
check MacPorts
      official mirrors for the same.
         - The port maintainer should be able to disable this to return to
         standard MacPorts caching + mirroring behavior at his/her discretion
      - perhaps lint additions to warn the user if they are indeed doing a
   build or configure on a port that has been marked as being in the "binary"
   category

In this way, we don't need to have major changes to the MacPorts structure,
but now can track binary-only ports.
If any special sub-commands need to be added for binary-only ports, these
commands need only target ports in this "binary" category.