port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 19:33:54 UTC 2020

> On Aug 6, 2020, at 12:28 PM, Herby G <herby.gillot at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > so far, name-suffix is winning on all fronts...with no downsides yet.
>
> I don't plan on pushing the issue, but I have to say that I don't agree.

I originally suggested both, and got no purchase on either, so had to push one of them to get some reaction :> I get the feeling if I had pushed the category idea this morning, we’d all be talking now about how the name method would be so much better :>

I would use the name — it’s just so much easier. I can see what’s installed when someone posts a ticket by the name they used. I can search for them. I can remember the command to search for them. I can tell someone else how to search for them. It doesn’t conflict with the non-binary port if one exists.

But truly -- that is really the least of the worries here.

So long as:

The binary install can be EASILY recognized by all.
You can FIND them all easily, and delete them.

I don’t care.

Ken