port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Fri Aug 7 22:16:15 UTC 2020

OpenJDK is open source, so it can be built from source. However, it is quite a complex and lengthy build. As the maintainer of the openjdk* ports I decided to use the binaries provided by the AdoptOpenJDK (for the HotSpot VM and OpenJ9 VM based JDK’s) and GraalVM projects. I personally wouldn’t want to replicate their builds in MacPorts and I don’t think anyone would enjoy waiting for MacPorts to build OpenJDK from source on their machine, because that can take a couple of hours. But theoretically the openjdk* ports could be changed to build from source. If anyone wants to have a go at that, be my guest!

Nils.