MacPorts webapp project updates

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Fri Aug 14 13:10:03 UTC 2020

> On Jul 12, 2020, at 2:55 PM, Arjun Salyan <arjun at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> This is in continuation to my previous emails regarding updates about the webapp. The temporary version is deployed at http://macports.silentfox.tech/ <http://macports.silentfox.tech/>

> Feedback and suggestions would be very constructive.

Is the temporary version of the new web app down at the moment?

Does our new web app highlight which packages are available as binary installs?

For example, version 3.16.0 of the port logrotate is available as a binary install for Darwin 10 through 19:

http://packages.macports.org/logrotate/

I imagine it would be more difficult to show that all the dependencies needed for a particular port are also available as binary installs.  Nonetheless, I think it might be worthwhile to show what _is_ available in binary.  It would make an interesting top level statistic, if possible.

Of course, we ought to footnote somewhere that binary installs are only available if installing the default variant to the default prefix.

The ongoing discussions about reinventing the ‘brew cask’ wheel suggested to me that perhaps we should better help users to understand that the majority of packages on MacPorts DO NOT have to be compiled on the user’s system.

FWIW,

Craig