port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Sat Aug 15 05:44:47 UTC 2020

> On 14 Aug 2020, at 19:11, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> so -- what would a user typing
>
> sudo port -v install macvim +prebuild_binary -huge +big +ruby25 +tcl +xim
>
> be expected to get? It's a total shambles.

They’d see the same thing they see if they tried to run:

> sudo port install macvim +ruby25 +ruby24
>
> Error: MacVim: Variant ruby24 conflicts with ruby25
> Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants

Or in this case, maybe even a more specific error message to call out that the “prebuild_binary” variant is not compatible with any other variants.

> sudo port install macvim +prebuild_binary -huge +big +ruby25 +tcl +xim
>
> Error: MacVim: Variant prebuild_binary conflicts with all other variants
> Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants

I fail to see how variant isn’t _precisely_ the correct way to handle this.

I’d imagine anything with this variant would look something like:

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448