port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Lothar Haeger lothar.haeger at gmx.net
Sat Aug 15 08:37:54 UTC 2020

> Am 15.08.2020 um 09:47 schrieb Eric F (iEFdev) <eric at iefdev.se>:
>
> Doesn't the port `ghc` do exactly this? https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/lang/ghc/Portfile#L31-L33 <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/lang/ghc/Portfile#L31-L33>

Yes, looks like it does. Three more seem to work that way, too, `mate-icons` even in reverse mode:

`port echo variant:rebuild variant:prebuilt
mate-icons
cabal
ghc
stack`

> The variant name is: +prebuilt

I like that name for its conciseness, lack of an underscore and correct tense. :-)

> Besides that… Haven't followed this discussion very closely, but I think I'm more into what
> [I think] someone said earlier - that MP should try to build everything, or try to fix it so it can.

Yes, I think we all agree on that. This thread is about those cases where it's not feasible to build from source, yet providing the port is desirable.