supertuxkart non-redistributable?

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 19:54:35 UTC 2020

> On Aug 25, 2020, at 4:09 AM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 2020-8-25 19:42 , Eric F (iEFdev) wrote:
>> Fedora, who usually are very restricted about things, have this take:
>>
>>> “ However, we consider that the OpenSSL library is a system library,
>> as defined by the GPL, *on Fedora* and therefore we are allowed to ship
>> GPL software that links to the OpenSSL library. …”
>
> Fedora is an operating system. MacPorts is not. Also worth noting that
> not all distros agree with that interpretation.
>
> - Josh

There is a new version of openssl coming with a more agreeable license we understand, due this year. That will help, eventually.

But I guess this is why Jeremy changes/fixes everything to build with libressl. I see curl uses libressl with ease. Our “port info” says libressl has the OpenSSL license, but that can’t be quite accurate as otherwise what’s the point?

License:              OpenSSL and SSLeay

It must be tempting for the managers to consider defaulting MacPorts to libressl and solve all this in one fell swoop until openssl fixes itself — seems to me you must have gone round and round and round this before when I wasn’t paying so much attention to it. I presume there is some incompatibility or other compelling problem with that plan.

I noted libressl is actively updated, last release was Aug 17, 2020….

Ken