change libcxx +emultated_tls to installing a binary please on < 10.7...

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 05:39:45 UTC 2020

So — figuring out how to bootstrap libcxx to the +emulated_tls variant (which we increasingly need) is a real PITA.

I might sort it out — building another libcxx in some tucked-away location, with a bunch of stuff needed to get to clang-5.0 linked against that one, and using that to build the real libcxx we install with +emulated_tls.

Or some too-complicated-to-ponder method of bootstrapping a clang-5.0 to another clang-5.0, or — gawd, I don’t know.

It’s just not worth the effort.

Does anyone have any serious objections if I just install my libcxx +emulated_tls binary to get us going?

I’ll just put up my three libcxx binaries, for 10.6, 10.5, and 10.4, all built universal i386/x86_64 and we can install them as binaries and resolve this issue in 10 minutes.

The new clangs need TLS, other stuff needs TLS, people are starting to blacklist perfectly fine software from 10.6 because of TLS, which is sitting right there.

It’s just bootstrapping it is too much of a PITA to deal with.

Serious objections?

Ken