FYI -- Parallels 16 now supports BigSur as a VM on older systems

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Dec 7 00:03:03 UTC 2020

On Sun, 6 Dec 2020 at 23:28, Christopher Nielsen wrote:

> Also, Parallels 16 still runs on MacOS 10.13, which is presently a requirement for me.

You can run VMWare 10 or 11 on 10.13, but that one apparently doesn't
officially support any newer macOS as a guest (VMWare 10 doesn't
support 10.14, for example), and it definitely won't run on a 2008
Mac.

And the list of supported guest operating systems for VMWare 12
excludes the oldest ones.

It seems that Parallels is more friendly to old software & hardware,
so I believe I know what I'll use next, thanks a lot for the hint.

> As for a support matrix, the vendors’ respective knowledge bases (and/or Google) are your best resource. But here’s an updated Parallels KB article, providing host/guest info:
>
> https://kb.parallels.com/124223

That's a lot more than what VMWare offers, thanks. I'm trying out my
first VM there right now.

Mojca