CCache: Segregating cache directories per port

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 20:52:47 UTC 2020

> On 11 Dec 2020, at 7:23 pm, Christopher Nielsen <mascguy at rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>

>> On 2020-12-11-F, at 14:16, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Just curious, but what exactly is the advantage of doing this ? I am not sure i see what problem you are trying to solve that a single cache causes .

>>> Is it possible to easily override the ccache directory via command-line, with the goal of maintaining separate caches per port?
>>>
>>> I did some quick digging through the MacPorts TCL files, and didn’t see support for such an override.
>>>
>>> My current solution — workable, though not ideal — is to update ‘ccache_dir’ in ~/.macports/macports.conf. That’s easily doable via a ‘port’ wrapper script.
>>>
>>> But assuming I didn’t miss anything, would folks be open to having the ability to specify ‘ccache_dir’ from the port command-line? If so, I’ll contribute the changes.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>
> In short, I’d like to maintain separate caches for ports I’m working on — Mame being the best example, as it takes at least an hour to build locally — without the cache being flooded by other ports. And preferably without resorting to custom ccache configuration, etc.
>
> Make sense?

Honestly, not really. Ccache can easily handle multiple concurrent builds to a single cache directory, and you can trivially increase the size of the cache if thats your problem, so I still don’t see what issue you are referring to by ‘being flooded by other ports’ as I don't see really what issue there would be having build artefacts in a single cache for more than one port.