CCache: Segregating cache directories per port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 17 09:45:50 UTC 2020

On Dec 11, 2020, at 12:20, Christopher Nielsen wrote:

> Is it possible to easily override the ccache directory via command-line, with the goal of maintaining separate caches per port?
>
> I did some quick digging through the MacPorts TCL files, and didn’t see support for such an override.
>
> My current solution — workable, though not ideal — is to update ‘ccache_dir’ in ~/.macports/macports.conf. That’s easily doable via a ‘port’ wrapper script.
>
> But assuming I didn’t miss anything, would folks be open to having the ability to specify ‘ccache_dir’ from the port command-line? If so, I’ll contribute the changes.
>
> Thoughts?

MacPorts was not designed with the intention of managing multiple ccache directories. It was intended for there to be a single ccache directory that is global to all ports.

This topic has been brought up before on the list: https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2019-September/041178.html

I've given some responses there in subsequent list messages.