Swift Package Manager

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Sun Dec 20 06:44:35 UTC 2020

Herby G <herby.gillot at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Otherwise MacPorts could just run Artifactory or something to cache and serve dependencies and all would be good.
>
> Having MacPorts run asset servers or repositories for all the different languages and frameworks out there (like running Artifactory) would be immensely unsustainable.

I know it wouldn’t be a solution for everything in MacPorts. (Artifactory does support multiple package types though, including ‘generic’.) It would be nice to be able to benefit from a build tool’s native dependency repository support when it has that. A man can dream, right? :o)

At my work there is an asset repository server for dependencies for Java/Maven/Gradle, Python/PyPi, JavaScript/NPM, RPM, Docker images, etc. It’s great when you can just tell a build tool to use a particular repository URL.

Nils.