port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 22:02:41 UTC 2020

Another prime example for a cask port, but showing yet different issues, looks to be osxfuse.

osxfuse is required for a number of other ports, but the current osxfuse port is three years out of date because it’s no long open source, and users need to use the upstream installer.

For this one, we certainly don’t want to destroot it into DESTROOT/PREFIX and compress it into a tbz2 as per the MacPorts normal methods.

We would like our cask port to just download the DMG with the installer pkg on it, and then run the installer.

And then, somehow, tell base we have it installed to fulfill the needs of the ports that depend on it.

Ken