what say we just use MacOSX.sdk preferentially on BigSur and up?

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 16:56:07 UTC 2020

So I will make another push for this, before we get hundreds of ports built with incorrect burned-in SDKs that make a total mess for us to manage.

What is different now is that almost all current configure software does a test-compile and run rather than look for a specific header or function to be defined, and if they don’t, they will need to.

The rapidly-changing SDK names make anything other than this a total mess.

IMHO, it is not a good idea, or reasonable, to expect every single piece of software (perl, python, ruby, gcc, etc, etc) to come up with their own, probably broken method of sorting this out.

All current MacOS users are using an Xcode that defaults to MacOSX.sdk anyway.

We would have no more need to default to forcing users to use an older Xcode version on many platforms that can run a newer version.

It’s just the plain old right thing to do, and that is where Apple and everyone else is headed.

Ken