what say we just use MacOSX.sdk preferentially on BigSur and up?

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 21:54:25 UTC 2020

> On Dec 31, 2020, at 1:51 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Dec 31, 2020, at 10:56, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>
>> So I will make another push for this, before we get hundreds of ports built with incorrect burned-in SDKs that make a total mess for us to manage.
>>

>> What is different now is that almost all current configure software does a test-compile and run rather than look for a specific header or function to be defined, and if they don’t, they will need to.
>
> We have a lot of non-current software in MacPorts.
>
> And I don't know what evidence you have that "almost all current configure software" does things correctly. I find that hard to believe.

Let’s test then.

I have my three 10.13 systems set up with Xcode 10 and the last SDK it came with. Two of those are capped-out at 10.13 due to hardware, one is a VM.

Happy to throw anything you like at it, and see if we can break it.

You know I’m only involved in this issue to make all our lives easier, and specifically, so that 10.13 can get the current qt 5.15.2 on the buildbot so that everyone can enjoy it like I can.

Happy to help.

Ken