question about build failures from buildbot

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 5 04:03:13 UTC 2020

On Feb 4, 2020, at 13:32, John Duksta wrote:

> Hey other macports-devs
>
> I got a bunch of builtbot failures yesterday across all macos releases.
>
> I want to be a good maintainer, but I only maintain one package (rtl_433), so I'm not familiar with debugging build bot issues. This is the first time I've seen these problems. From the stdio for rtl_433[1], it looks to me like there's a general problem with the build environment being able to fetch upstream deps.
>

> Is there anything for me to do here,

I'm not sure what you mean... If you are referring to this output:

> --->  Attempting to fetch rtl_433-19.08_0.darwin_19.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages-private.internal.macports.net/rtl_433
>
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
>
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
> DEBUG: Fetching archive failed: The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
>
> --->  Attempting to fetch rtl_433-19.08_0.darwin_19.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages-private.internal.macports.net/rtl_433
>
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
>
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
> DEBUG: Fetching archive failed: The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
>
> --->  Attempting to fetch rtl_433-19.08_0.darwin_19.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.internal.macports.net/rtl_433
>
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
>
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
> DEBUG: Fetching archive failed: The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found

then that is the completely normal output that MacPorts will display when it is unable to find a precompiled binary of the port on our server. If a build has been scheduled on the buildbot, this will almost certainly be the case. (We check whether there is a binary before scheduling a build; if there is, we don't schedule it.) Lacking a binary, MacPorts then tries to build from source.

rtl_443 failed to build from source, and it looks like the relevant errors are:

-- Could NOT find PkgConfig (missing: PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE)
-- Could NOT find PkgConfig (missing: PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE)
-- Found LibRTLSDR: /opt/local/lib/librtlsdr.dylib
-- Could NOT find PkgConfig (missing: PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE)
-- Could NOT find LibUSB (missing: LIBUSB_INCLUDE_DIR)
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:105 (message):
  RTL-SDR development files not found.

Perhaps the port is just missing a build dependency on port:pkgconfig and/or a library dependency on port:libusb.

You can try building the port in trace mode (the "-t" flag) to reproduce the issue locally, then add dependencies as needed to resolve the issue, and submit a PR with whatever fix you come up with.

> or is there just a general CI problem?

There is in fact also a general problem with the buildbot, which is that the SQLite database it uses to keep track of pending build requests became corrupted a couple days ago and I just noticed. Until I figure out what to do about that, the buildbot won't be able to build anything.