GSOC 2020

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Jan 11 16:08:57 UTC 2020

Dear Pierre,

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 18:47, Pierre Tardy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> GSOC 2020 has been announced, I haven't seen a thread yet on macports being an org.

We last discussed GSOC during the MacPorts meeting in Bohinj in
October where we went through the ideas list.

> We discussed the topic within Buildbot community, and we think we don't have enough of our users as student, and are not attractive enough to be effective.
> But last years experience partnering with Macports was great, and we would like to renew it.
>
> I don't know if this still makes sense for you to have a CI-dedicated GSOC project idea, but Buildbot team will be officially happy to help with mentoring of such project.

I'm still a bit afraid about our mentor forces, but I believe we will apply.
I'm a bit ashamed for not having deployed the setup yet, but
independent of there:
- there is still a number of issues which haven't been addressed last
year, for example the waterfall hasn't been completed / fully polished
yet for our needs
- there is still a lot to be done on the basic configuration for our
needs (including potentially working on VMs)

I would be in favour of publishing one project similar to last year's
one which would continue building on where we left off last year.
We would need to go through the feature requests / bug reports from
buildbot again and potentially (re)tag them properly. Plenty of them
already contain the GSOC tag.
But we would also need to check those few PRs that haven't been merged
yet (I believe there is still some small number there which
occasionally gets attacked by the stale bot).

What we need to do better this year is make it clear in advance where
the communication will happen as IRC didn't always work for everyone.
Aljaž has set up Rocket.chat on a private server (so hopefully no
issues with corporate and country firewalls; you were not the only one
blocked from Discord), and we could probably add IRC mirroring there
and allow reading the discussion with greater eas.

I wanted to attend the meeting on Tuesday, but I managed to notice I
missed it only after I received the email with the minutes.
(I'm also a bit confused about the timing which kind of shifts between
16 and 17 UTC, but not entirely consistent with daylight saving time
changes.)

Mojca