CLT needs reinstalling on 10.15 buildbot

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 27 10:22:48 UTC 2020

On 27/01/2020 10:15 am, Chris Jones wrote:

> On 27/01/2020 8:10 am, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>

>> On Jan 26, 2020, at 09:37, Christopher Jones wrote:
>>
>>> I am seeing this warning in a number of builds on the 10.15 build bot
>>> Warning: cltversion: The Command Line Tools are installed, but
>>> MacPorts cannot determine the version.
>>> Warning: cltversion: For a possible fix, please see:
>>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#reinstall-clt
>>> Could someone take a look and follow the instructions to make sure
>>> the CLT is properly installed ?
>>
>> I don't see why the CLT would have become uninstalled on a buildbot
>> worker... Recent builds seem to be working fine... If you are seeing
>> builds that are not working, can you share those build URLs?
>
> As the message above says, its not un-installed. A recent Xcode update
> has removed the CLT installation receipts, so the Apple update system is
> no longer aware it is still installed, and the MacPorts checks as
> performed by the xcode_workarounds/cltversion PGs for the CLT versions
> are unable to determine the version installed.
>
> The instructions at
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#reinstall-clt
>
> give the work-arounds needed to fix this and restore the receipts.
>
> This is, I believe, a bug in the 10.15 Xcode versions. I have seen this
> happen on every update I have made on my local machine.
>
> The above warning appears in the gcc8 build, for instance
>
> https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.15_x86_64-builder/builds/22242/steps/install-port/logs/stdio
>

> The build was successfully in the end, but only because the
> xcode_workaround detects the partly broken CLT and ignores it. It would
> be better to properly fix the installation to make sure the CLT version
> matches the Xcode installation (which currently the PGs cannot do).

b.t.w. if you want to try by hand the checks that are generating the
warning, see

<https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/_resources/port1.0/group/cltversion-1.0.tcl>

See the lines running pkgutil (there are multiple tries, as the exact
syntax varies by OS version, so the PG tries each in turn until it finds
one that works). You should be able to get the version info for the CLT
from one of them. e.g. (on a 10.13 machine)

  > /usr/sbin/pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
package-id: com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
version: 10.1.0.0.1.1539992718
volume: /
location: /
install-time: 1540935540
groups: com.apple.FindSystemFiles.pkg-group

If none of the attempts gives any info, but the PG is able to determine
the CLT is present (by checking for the existence of a particular file)
you get the warning above.

Chris