our "sudo port install gnome" metaport is not working -- GNOME needs help

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 07:38:43 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-01, at 11:21 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Is this build failure with some modifications you've made to these ports?

I'll start with the most important bit -- I think the gnome metaport is a flagship port for Macports, and it won't install.

I recommended it today to some new MacPorts users attracted by CherryTree but I was surprised to find it broken at present.

gnome failed because polari is broken (ticket open).
polari can't be updated because it needs a newer gjs. The current gjs builds (I misspoke to say it didn't) but is too old to support a polari update.
gjs can't be updated because it needs a newer mozjs (68).

Even after I removed polari from the gnome metaport to get around all this, there are other key build failures (tickets open) that prevent the gnome metaport building.

I'm wondering if interested parties looking for ways to be helpful might pitch in to give Dave a hand here to get the gnome metaport back in business, and perhaps get most of these gnome ports over the meson hump to the new versions as well.