Google Magenta Portfiles Help Request for new py-note-seq port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 5 09:54:00 UTC 2020

On Jul 5, 2020, at 03:01, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2020-7-5 06:35 , Jason Liu wrote:
>>    If upstream doesn't have a useful version number, you need to make
>>    one up. It should monotonically increase over time. It should change
>>    whenever the upstream source code you are installing from changes.
>>

>> For ports I've submitted which don't have any version numbering in the
>> project's GitHub repo, I've been using the date of the commit as the
>> version number in the portfile... but don't try to use the GitHub commit
>> hash, since that is not a monotonically increasing number. So, for
>> example, if I submitted a port for a project's commit that occurred
>> today, the version number would be 20200704. Some of the MacPorts devs
>> have indicated to me that this date-based version number shouldn't be
>> separated using dashes or dots; it should just look like a single
>> integer. Also, don't include the commit's time in the version number
>> string, only the date.
>
> Those last couple sentences aren't official rules. I would actually
> prefer the human-readable ISO 8601 format (separated with dashes).

We can move toward that if you like, but it has been our de-facto standard not to use dashes. I count 288 ports using a YYYYMMDD version and only 65 ports using a YYYY-MM-DD version.

Moving from a YYYY-MM-DD version to a YYYYMMDD version is easy; you just do it. Going the other way requires increasing the epoch. :(