several messages

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jul 6 16:03:00 UTC 2020

On Jul 5, 2020, at 17:15, Jason Liu wrote:

> My guess, however, that the more likely reason upstream projects don't typically keep these sorts of fixes around is because they don't want it dirtying up their code for any longer than necessary. Even if you strip out the comment lines, the #defines in my file add up to over 100 lines of code that upstream projects probably don't want lingering around just for the sake of legacy support.

Some developers welcome bug reports and fixes for legacy systems. Others want to require more recent versions of macOS. Some refuse to even look at my bug reports if I mention "macOS" or "MacPorts". So each developer is different and we shouldn't assume they won't accept fixes; we should ask.

The size of the fix probably makes a difference. A hundred line fix for the sake of legacy systems is surely more difficult to accept than a couple line fix.