Multiple distfiles vs "git submodule"

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Sat Jul 18 00:52:29 UTC 2020

If by "official release tarball" you are referring to what is in the
blender/blender <https://github.com/blender/blender> GitHub repo, that
tarball is incomplete. It doesn't contain the other 3 parts.

If instead you are referring to the tarball that is provided at
https://www.blender.org/download/, then yes, that tarball is complete, in
that it contains everything that comes from the split-up parts in GitHub.
However, that tarball is located at a very non-standard location, and it's
been pretty strongly recommended that I try not to deviate too far from
what the vast majority of other ports are doing (i.e. downloading sources
from GitHub). Basically, I didn't want to draw any ire from the veteran
devs. If you're willing to back me up on a decision to go with the single
tarball from blender.org's download webpage, I'd be more than happy to go
that route as well.

--
Jason Liu