MacPorts webapp project updates

Frank Schima mf2k at macports.org
Sun Jul 19 14:49:20 UTC 2020

Hi Mojca,

> On Jul 18, 2020, at 7:42 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> Some quick comments:
>> - Remove all commas as a separator. A space works great.
>
> What counts as "all"? For maintainers, variants?

Yes, categories, maintainers and variants.

>> - Sort the variants alphabetically and also ports that depend on the currently selected port.
>
> The variants could certainly be sorted, but dependencies seem already
> sorted to me.
>
> Unless you expected them to be sorted vertically rather than horizontally?
> That's debatable, but copy-pasting gives you the correct order.
> Or where (which port) do you see an issue with the list not being sorted?

'ports that depend on “foo”’, just below dependencies, are not sorted. Sorting horizontally, not vertically, makes sense to me.

>> - Python stub ports don’t really make sense. Search for, say, py-numpy. That’s a stub port. It should probably state that you would never install it - so don’t display “sudo port install py-numpy” for it because users should never actually do that in this case. But instead you want to pick py36-numpy, py37-numpy, etc. Show all of the real ports as clickable links. Currently it does not even allow you pick any of them.
>
> We just discussed adding a clickable list of all subports today.
>
> But how do you know that py-numpy is a stub port? By hardcoding a
> function like the following [pseudocode]:
>
>    def is_stub_port:
>        return (path ~= "^python\/py-.*" and name ~= "^py-.*") or
> (path ~= "^perl\/p5-.*" and name ~= "^p5-.*")
>
> and adding more exceptions as they get discovered?

Good question. We may have to manually define that as you suggest. py-*, p5-*, php-* come to mind.

> Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Thank you for listening!

-Frank