Distfile Mirror Issues

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Tue Jul 28 18:06:53 UTC 2020

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2020, at 18:27, Fred Wright wrote:
[...]
>> DEBUG: Fetching distfile failed: Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to jnb.za.distfiles.macports.org:-9824
>
> It appears they've enabled mandatory SSL on this server, which they weren't doing before.
>
> They've forgotten to add the MacPorts hostnames to the SSL certificate,
> so we can't connect. I've asked them to add those hostnames.
>
> When I use their hostname I'm able to connect using /usr/bin/curl on OS
> X 10.11 and later but not 10.10 and earlier. This is probably related to
> which encryption algorithms they've decided to support. Which macOS
> version were you using?

I normally use 10.9 (though I have many other versions for testing).  That
sometimes has issues as discussed in:

 	https://trac.macports.org/ticket/51516

But I thought the idea was that MacPorts' own mirrors should be configured
to be compatible with all OS versions that it supports, which is why the
compatibility issue usually only arises in connection with port
development (before the disfiles have been mirrored).

Fred Wright