port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 00:46:31 UTC 2020

there seems to be demand for replicating the “binary only” installers of homebrew cask.

we have a few ports that do that now, and I see more and more coming in.

I have used homebrew cask from time to time to see what it’s up to. It is convenient at times. I also downloaded a lot of things that didn’t actually work on the system I was using, or were time-bombed demos that timed out after a week — or updated on me when I wasn’t really planning on updating just then — or installed but just plain didn’t work (Lazarus) — so there are downsides to it to.

homebrew has nearly 4000 of these already. Probably would be pretty easy to just write a little translator to use their cask formulas, I wouldn’t be surprised :>

Anyway, if we’re going to do this, and there is demand, perhaps we should have a category or a naming convention to make it clear that a prebuilt downloaded binary is what we’re installing?