[MacPorts] #60590: Macports mirrors are down?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Jun 6 00:48:56 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 06:05:41PM -0500, Christopher Chavez wrote:
> As a user, I've thought it would be great if MacPorts used git syncing
> by default. I have used git-over-https since 2016 when I was
> constrained to ports 80/443 by a university campus network. I had
> found it also avoided needlessly writing hundreds of MB to the SSD
> when updating the ports tree. If GitHub outages are a concern, then I
> would think falling back to a mirror hosted by
> GitLab/SourceForge/Bitbucket/etc. should be possible.

The reason why we haven't done this is that you would no longer get a
prebuilt PortIndex. You would have to generate the PortIndex locally,
which costs CPU time and is noticeably slower than downloading a
matching PortIndex from rsync.

We might eventually figure out a way to provide prebuilt portindexes via
http when syncing from Git, but that needs to be set up on the server
side, implemented on the client side and thoroughly tested.

--
Clemens